Integrating with Mailchimp
Integrating Triggerbee with Mailchimp opens up the possibilities of communicating with your subscribers based on their behavior and interests on your website, and only sending them content you know they want to read. Higher engagement, more meaningful conversations, and better insights about your subscribers are just a few clicks away.
As soon as your subscribers land on your website, Triggerbee starts tracking their behavior, activity, and interests. When they click on a button on your website, fill out a form, or visit any page, Triggerbee will collect that information and build a subscriber profile based on their behavior. When your subscriber is done browsing, Triggerbee automatically updates their profile in your Mailchimp account with their activity from your website. That means the next time you send out an email campaign, you can target subscribers interested in a specific area on your website, who performed a specific action, or follow up with the ones that didn't take action on your offer.
How to set up the integration
Start in your MailChimp account
- Log into your MailChimp account and go to Account in the profile menu.
- In the account settings, click on Extras in the menu and go to API keys.
- Click on Create A key to create a new API key for Triggerbee, edit the Label to "Triggerbee" if you want to keep track of your keys. Copy the Key. Read more about MailChimp API Keys here.
- Now you're done with the setup in MailChimp! Please go ahead and finish the setup in Triggerbee as well
Continue to your Triggerbee account
- Navigate to Apps & Integrations in Triggerbee and activate the Mailchimp app.
- Enter the API key you created in Mailchimp and Press Save.
Make sure authentication is successful. Otherwise, an error will be shown after the settings are saved. Try waiting a while if you just created the API-key and authentication is unsuccessful. If the authentication is still unsuccessful, check again that your API-key does not contain any extra characters than copied. Sometimes an extra blank space is added when copying.
- Once successfully authenticated, open Mailchimp App again.A.Triggers: This is where you choose which one of your lists in MailChimp that Triggerbee should integrate with, eg. populate with new subscribers.
B. Update subscriber properties: Choose what properties Triggerbee should populate and update on the subscriber in Mailchimp. We recommend that you "Select all" if you don't have any preferences.
C. Select which lists Triggerbee should update: Choose which of your lists in MailChimp (must match at least one of the lists in step A), that Triggerbee should sync these properties with. We recommend that you "Select all" if you don't have any preferences.
- Congratulations, now you are completely done with the integration and setup of MailChimp, and your Mailchimp lists will now be available for Audience Targeting and in the Campaign Editor.
Track subscribers coming from newsletters
In order for Triggerbee to identify visitors coming from your newsletters, you need to activate E-commerce link tracking and Google Analytics link tracking in your MailChimp account, for each campaign you create. You will find these settings under Settings & Tracking in the campaign setup.
Note: This has to be done for all your upcoming campaigns and can only be done before you send out your campaign
Send converted visitors to Mailchimp
Once you have the integration between Triggerbee and Mailchimp in place, you will be able to start creating subscribers in Mailchimp from Triggerbee Campaigns.
- Start by creating and designing your Campaign with a form.
- To connect Mailchimp, open the Form Settings and activate Mailchimp. This will automatically create an automation that sends the converted email address to Mailchimp.
- If you are collecting more data in your form, such as telephone numbers, you will also be prompted to map that data to a specific field in Mailchimp.
- If you wish to update any other fields on your visitor, you can "Go to Automation", where you add the action "Update field". Select what field in Mailchimp you want to update, and with what Triggerbee data.
- When you're done with all your actions, press Save. The automation will automatically go live when your campaign goes live.
List and Tag Targeting
With the Triggerbee - Mailchimp integration, you can target onsite campaigns based on what lists and tags the visitor belongs to in Mailchimp.
- Navigate to Audiences and create a new one.
- Open the filter options and select the Mailchimp Tag or List you want to target. Also, define whether the visitor should be in the list/tag (equals) or not (not equals).
- Save the Audience. Now you can use this audience as targeting in your campaigns to communicate with your visitors in this audience.
Note: Mailchimp data targeting is only possible for visitors that have been identified, in order for Triggerbee to be able to ask Mailchimp if the visitor is in the specified list/tag
Trigger email from Mailchimp (via Mandrill)
Mandrill is a plugin for Mailchimp, which allows you to send emails based on actions in Triggerbee. Thus, you need to have a Mandrill account in order to set this sub-integration up.
Integrate Mandrill to Triggerbee
- Log in to your Mandrill account and navigate to Settings and API Key in the left menu
- Click "New API Key", name it "Triggerbee" and press "Create API Key". Then, copy the Key. Make sure to not have any spaces or extra characters following.
- Then, go to Triggerbee Apps and Integration and activate the Mandrill app. Enter the API Key you copied from Mandrill. Press Save.
- Once the connection is successful, you are done with the integration! Mandrill will now be available for email automations.
How to set up the automation in Triggerbee
- Navigate to Automations and open the automation you want to edit or create a new one.
- If you create a new automation, select your triggering event on the left-hand side, eg. when a visitor completes a purchase or logs in.
- Add another Action, and select "Send the visitor an email". In the dropdown, select the email template you want to send.
- Save your automation and you're done!
How to check subscriber status on signup
With the Triggerbee subscriber check, it is possible to make a request to your connected Email marketing tool, to see if the subscriber that wants to sign up already is a subscriber or not. If so - you could display another message for them (eg, instead of the discount code).
- When creating your campaign with a Form, add at least two primary and one success slide. Use the primary 1 for the signup form just as you usually do, and the success slide for the welcome message (with or without discount code). Then, create another primary slide where you have another message for already subscribed visitors, eg. "You are already a subscriber. Check your inbox for the latest news"
- Open the Form Settings and add the connecting to Mailchimp as usual. Then, activate the option "Show alternating message if email already exists in remote list".
- Now, select what audience in Mailchimp you want Triggerbee to check, and select the primary 2 to be displayed if the subscriber is already in that audience.
- Depending on the purpose of your signup form, you might not want to run the automation connected to your email tool at all for visitors that are already subscribed. In that case, you can activate the "verify as new subscriber" feature to have the automation only run for actual new subscribers.
- Save your settings and you're done :)